I am not a chef or professional cook by any stretch of the imagination, but I do love to eat. So I’ve been trying to find whole foods that are healthy and filling enough that I don’t feel like I need to eat a lot in one sitting. One dish I’ve thrown together a couple times is a pasta dish made with organic canned tomatoes instead of a jar of premade spaghetti sauce. It is super simple and super yummy. Let’s get started!
Chicken and Spinach Pasta
Yields: 8 servings Prep Time: 10 min Cook Time: 20 min
You will need:
- 1 box of organic, gluten free spaghetti noodles
- 32 oz can of organic tomatoes (diced or crushed)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Fresh spinach
- 1 yellow onion, diced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter (optional)
- Dice onion and set aside.
- Cut chicken into approximately 1 inch squares, lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil over the chicken and stir until the olive oil coats all the chicken.
- Heat the chicken in a frying pan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute onions with butter or olive oil in another pan (butter will provide more flavor while the olive oil is less calories).
- Once the onions are sauteed, empty the can of tomatoes in the pan, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chicken is cooked, combine with tomato sauce, stirring occasionally.
- Follow the directions on the box of pasta and cook the pasta. You can also substitute the pasta for zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash.
- When the pasta is almost finished cooking, add the spinach handful by handful into the tomato sauce and stir until the spinach begins to wilt.
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain and empty into a large bowl. Pour over the tomato sauce, mix, and serve!
If you try this recipe I would love to know how you like it, or if you have any ideas that you think would make it better! I personally love the simple and fresh taste of minimal spices and ingredients, but maybe you like spicy or sweet dishes. Let me know at email@example.com!